Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Oro: Melaka's must-stop Moroccon Restaurant!


Good times at Oro with my childhood bestie Dor.

I think the last time I did a review with Dor was back in 2011 when we went to TGIF's  and she was holding back on food because she was getting married. Fast forward two years and she and hubs now have the most adorablest little baby called Ahmad and a classy restaurant right in the heart of Ayer Keroh called Oro.

Dor's husband, Adil, used to run a restaurant back in Germany called No Concept. There's no menu and customers would come in and trust the good-looking chef would serve them something good. Since Malaysians in general are a cautious and shy lot of people, No Concept food probably won't make it past our throats. So Adil made the concept here crystal clear: Moroccon and Italian food --the way it should be. 


Consequently, for all you super-efficient KL and Selangorian multi-taskers,  if you want to kill two birds with one stone, or accede to the famous Malaysian saying "drink while diving", you can head down to Melaka, check out the historical monuments back in the days when the Dutch underestimated us, and then eat Moroccon food like you're in Maghribi. Yeah.

Back to the food, we (that would be me, hubs, and our kids) ordered the following between us: lamb tagine--cooked to perfection and garnished with mango and carrots and a special red sauce that tasted really really good, spaghetti bolognese--just bursting with nourishment (Armand and Qayyum each finished off adult size servings of it and Q is only 5), and, Hawaiian pizza that is so authentic, I feel like a godmother and Pizza Hut should swim with the fishes.

What is TANGINE? 
Lamb tagine. Lamb so tender, red sauce was superb says hubs. 
Potato salad. Ravishing~
Moroccon sald with pesto dressing. Hurmph. A+
Moroccon desert. Out of this world Malaysia~

Beat this Pizza Hut! A++
Kids favorite: spaghetti bolaignaise.  

Moroccon style coffee. Brewed with cinnamon and star anise. Nice~

In addition to the above, as special guests of the restaurant (me and Dor go back a long way okay), Adil also served us Moroccan salad and mint tea. I only have three (plus two) words  for Adil on the gesture: this is crazy!!! and THANK YOU!. The mint tea especially. I only take mint on my toothbrush, not even in my laksa and that night I drank about 8 cups of mint tea (all of my kids, and ordered more) and coffee just about broke up with me. If I was single with no kids I wouldn't mind driving all the way from Bangi to Ayer Keroh just for the mint tea and tai tai like I'm royalty. As it is, life has its own plans for me. Until Adil opens up a Bangi Oro, I will get some mint from the pasar tomorrow morning and stick it in my Boh.

With mint tea in mind, I urge you to stop by Oro next time you are in Melaka. Or, if you live, work and breathe Melaka, you wajib pergi or I will block you from my foodblog for the rest of your life. And now where are you going to get the best food reviews in town? 

:P

Aftermath: the men outside for their coffee over a discussion of world problems~


Ahmad in front of baba's restaurant. 
Mint tea that is SUPERBLICIOUS!!
ORO
33, Jalan Bukit Beruang Utama 2, Taman Bukit Beruang Utama, Ayer Keroh, Melaka


Cleanliness: A
Food: A++
Price: Appropriately priced. Thanks so much Dor and Aidil, may Allah open all doors to your rezeki..~
Satisfaction Level: A++++
Service: A
Atmosphere: A, slow spanish music. No belly dancing, thank goodness!


This is a sheemzfood recommended restaurant..GO!!

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking for the morroccan dessert, chebbakia all these while! Tak tau pulak ada kat Melaka.
    Thank you Sheems :)

    ReplyDelete